Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I miss a lot of things about living in Vegas, that can be expected. Rexburg has provided quite the culture shock for me. It's taken me a really long time to realize how great I have it and how wonderful my family is, but now I can see perfectly. I can hardly wait for the monthly (and surprise) visits that I make home. I'm so lucky that I get to go home this weekend and see everyone, family and friends. As much as I miss home, college has introduced me to a few new things that I'm sure I'll miss once I'm done with the semester.

1. Scary movie nights. Margot, Courtney and I have somehow figured out a way to squeeze three 18-year-old girls onto a twin bed and watch frightening films before attempting to sleep. Youtube is the best. I'll miss having people's hands to hold and screams to ring out along with my own.

2. Almost daily trips to Horkley's. More fondly known as "Whore, please" around the apartment due Margot's hearing impairment. This gas station sells 42 oz fountain drinks for 30 cents and serves as a common place to visit to rid ourselves of caffeine withdrawl headaches.

3. Being "social." We always make plans to go out and meet new people, but we more often than not end up at the gym and watching a movie on someone's laptop instead. Something about the cold weather makes none of us want to venture outside the comfort of the apartment. It's ok though, because people like to come over and visit from time to time.

4. Skype conversations. I believe Skype is one of the coolest inventions in the world, and once I'm home with the rest of my friends and my immediate family, I won't be able to Skype those dear to me living in Hawaii, Florida, Vegas etc. I think we'll all be home by then. Talking in person just doesn't compare.

Now to my list of things I won't miss at all. This blog wouldn't be accurate if I didn't incorporate a little sarcasm.

1. My HORRENDOUS bed. I can't breathe in deeply without making it creak and waking up Sara. A fear I've had since day one is that my bed will crash one night without warning onto my desk below where my MacBook sits. I pray this night never comes to pass.

2. Cold. Like I've reiterated many times before, it is so cold in Idaho. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into, mainly because I'd never experienced anything like it. Slipping on ice is also another fear of mine, especially because the upper class students tell me that the heated sidewalks are a myth. Great.

3. Early morning classes. For those that know me well, I have never been and never will be a morning person. For some reason while I was registering for classes for this semester, I shot myself in the foot by signing up for an 8 AM American Foundations class. Never again. The other reason being that this class is AP Government on steroids. Again, those that know me well can attest that any kind of governmental course isn't my strong suit.

I shouldn't say that I hate Rexburg, because I really don't. I just have a hard time adjusting to the weather. I can't wait to call my dad the first time I have to drive in the snow for real. We'll both be having panic attacks. Of this I am absolutely positive.

1 comment:

  1. LIZZAY!! without a doubt this is my greatest discovery of the week! i love you dearly and you know how i obsess over your words! the only thing you forgot to mention is how much you miss sitting by me at church. i really can't wait til it can happen again. your life is hilarious, i can't wait to stalk you further! also, it's creepy how similar our "social" lives are. really..

    ReplyDelete